Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Africa's Tallest Mountain - Mount Kilimanjaro

Kilimanjaro with its three volcanic cones, Kibo Mawenzi, and Shira is an inactive strato volcano in north-eastern Tanzania and the highest mountain in Africa at 5,893, meters or 19,334 ft above sea level. Mount Kilimanjaro is the highest freestanding mountain as well as the 4th most prominent. I  couldn't climb it because it was too tall for me so I took a few notes about its history. The name kibo in kichagga means "spotted" and refers to rocks seen on snowfields.The Swahili word Uhuru translates as "freedom a name given to commemorate Tanzanian independence from Great Britain in1961. It wasn't a nice day out that day, so I left early and I also felt tired and called in.


en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Kilimanjaro

No comments:

Post a Comment